Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Creativity

I know I am a romantic, and an optimist.
So much so, that I think innovation is an individual choice and a highly contagious one.

The problem with ossified structures is that they don't let in fresh ideas to nurture innovation. Open the window, let the sunshine in and innovation will flourish.
Easier said than done.

Fear is the great enemy, and it must be eradicated.
Consider this scenario: I am old and successful. Well.. mature and successful. I earned my success by playing the old game. I am afraid that if things change, I will lose my chair.
I don't want the rules to change.
Would you?

My young associate is young and earnest. Full of ideas.
I will make sure that she understands the dangers of freethinking.
"Do as you are told," I will repeat over and over. I will make sure that she keeps her ideas to herself, or else...

What we have to do is to find fear wherever it's hiding and eradicate it.
Easier said than done.

However, I have chosen to be creative and to let people be creative.
Fearlessly creative.
I call it the pirate perspective.

Don't build castles, build ships.

Fungus

No comments:

Post a Comment